14 photos

"At the Ohlone Indian village of Oroysom, Padre Fermin Francisco De Lasuen founded this 14th of 21 Franciscan missions {on} June 11, 1797," states a plaque at Mission San Jose.

"Taught by Padre Narcisco Duran, the Ohlone orchestra and choir became famous. By 1830 almost 2,000 Indians were living at the mission."

In 1836, the mission system was secularized and its lands were divided into ranchos.

"During the Gold Rush, a store in the west wing outfitted miners," the plaque reads. "The 1868 earthquake destroyed the Adobe church and most other mission buildings. The church was rebuilt in 1985."

Mission San Jose is registered in California as historical landmark 334.
Mission San JoseMission San JoseMission San JoseMission San JoseMission San JoseMission San JoseMission San JoseMission San JoseMission San JoseMission San JoseMission San JoseMission San JoseMission San JoseMission San Jose

Categories & Keywords
Category:Architecture and Structures
Subcategory:Churches
Subcategory Detail:
Keywords:California Missions, California mission system, Glenn Franco Simmons, Mission San Jose, Ohlone orchestra, San Jose Mission, missions of California