This 1937 V-16 Series Hartmann Cadillac Cabriolet was photographed at the Danville, Calif.-based Blackhawk Automotive Museum.
“The last year for Cadillac’s 452 cubic-inch engine was 1937,” according to a Blackhawk car summary. “Only 50 units were manufactured.”
In 1938, Cadillac introduced a less-expensive and redesigned V-16.
“Cadillac released only two V-16 chassis to independent coachbuilders in 1937,” according to Blackhawk. “One was sold to Philippe Barraud, a wealthy young playboy living along the fashionable Swiss Riviera, which stretched between Lausanne and Montreux on the shores of Lake Geneva.
“Barraud commissioned Willy Hartmann, a body shop owner in Lausanne, ‘to create a look similar to a Figoni et Falaschi-designed car’ on this huge chassis. Basic stock Cadillac components were used on this streamlined hand-formed fantasy, which is one of the largest cabriolets ever built. Initially, there was some doubt whether it could be registered in Switzerland as a private car due to the 22-foot overall length.
“Barraud drove his car to all the fashionable haunts where it caused a sensation as it continues to do today.”
The V-16, OHV engine generated 185 hp at 3800 rpm.
Keywords:1937 V-16 Series Hartmann Cadillac, Blackhawk Automotive Museum, Glenn Franco Simmons
© Glenn Thomas Franco Simmons